Friday 24 December 2010

Mini Van from the Dark Side of the Moon - Ferrari 250 GTO #3757

The first time I saw one of these, reg no: 5 RU #3869 GT belonging to Dave Clarke formerly of the Dave Clark Five, was on a fabulous summer afternoon in the car park of the Hotel opposite school I must have spent a good hour sitting on a wall leering at it longingly.



This particular example, third overall in the 1962 Le Mans 24 hours and winner of the Spa 500 kms race in 1963, has been the property of Nick Mason since the late 1970's.

Allegedly one frosty morning this vehicle was the only one of his fleet that would start and so Nick ended up taking his kids to school in it, the rumour is that his kids never wanted to be driven to school in anything other than the 250 GTO thereafter which must qualify this car for the title worlds fastest mini van.

I did not know much about it until acquaintances on The Nostalgia Forum put me right some months ago. Ironically I have Nick Masons autograph from that day in my 1981 British Grand Prix programme.

Hope you have enjoyed todays edition of 'Gettin' a lil' psycho on tyres' from the Dark Side of the Moon and hope you'll join me again tomorrow for the first of my 12 vehicles of Chritmas series of blogs.

Slightly off topic I read this seasonal story yesterday and humbly recommend it to all.

With Seasons Greetings and best wishes for the New Year too everyone who has played apart in 'Gettin' a lil' psycho on tyres' no matter how great or small, thanks for being there to celebrate with.



PS 30 12 10 just found the photo above of #3757 taken at Goodwood Festival of Speed.

5 comments:

  1. Seasons Greetings to you, too, Art.
    "Gettin' a lil' psycho on tyres!" has been an ongoing gift. This is a rich daily read that I eagerly anticipate. I, for one (and presumably I speak for many), express extreme gratitude for your work on this blog.
    Cheers to you, Art Tidesco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to drive a mini van like that.
    How about 12 days of Jags. The queen makes everyone in England drive a Jag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments Steve and the welcome contributions :-)

    JC I'll see if I can get a Jag week together in the new year, I believe the Queens official cars in reverse order are Bentley, Rolls Royce up until the turn of the 21st Century, and Daimler up until the end of the '50's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The proper car for a King or Queen is a Daimler. Anything less is a step down and almost uncivilized.

    I look forward to your blog every day Art, but I have a particular fondness for Ferrari Fridays.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Racer I am sure if Daimler and Jag ever get split up again like Rolls Royce and Bentley, Royalty might return to Daimler, which I am inclined to agree historically is the proper car for British Royalty.

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family Racer and thanks to you all for your unfailing support ! :-)

    ReplyDelete