Thursday 3 February 2011

Bavarian Coupé - BMW 3.0 CS Automatic



Soon after we got our first black and white TV in 1967 I remember seeing a Karmann built BMW 2000 CS on a report from a motor show, possibly Geneva, thinking that was one cool futuristic car, I must have been 8 at the time.



The next time I remember seeing a BMW Coupe was on the cover of one of the earliest copies of Motor Sport I bought in the summer of 1973, it was a white works CSL being yomped through the Eifel Forest on the Nurburgring by Hans Joachim Stuck Jr, the magazine must have been a sell out because the following year a near identical picture appeared on the cover Motor Sport from the 1974 6 hour race at the Nurburgring this time with Hans driving a black works CSL.



In 1968 the 2 litre Karmann built BMW Coupé's evolved into the BMW 2800 CS based on the E9 platform, unfortunately ditching the very cool faired in headlights lights for the familiar US spec twin round headlights.



BMW was thought stand for British Motor Works in the USA around the time this car was built, BMW engaged in a works backed US Motorsports programme using the 'Batmobile CSLs' to correct that perception, to Bavarian Motor Works, in 1975.



In 1971 the E9 platform was fitted with a 3 litre / 183 cui 6 cylinder motor which when equipped with twin carburettors produced 180 hp.



This vehicle, according to the registration plates, was first registered in London around 1973/4.



I never did get what performance cars and automatics were all about, which is probably why I never became a auto marketing executive, but 30 plus years on an 'automatic' badge shows us the relative aspirations of the original owner and utilitarianism of the time when the car was manufactured.



There is something about vehicles designed around a simple horizontal midriff I find extremely alluring.



IMHO one of the few cars that looks as good in standard street form as in fully equipped racing form.

Like to thank every one who pops into 'Getting a lil' psycho on tyres' at some point during the night this blog had it's 10,000th page hit not exactly close to the 10 billion hits achieved by Apple Store but if you'd asked me if this was possible a year ago I would have wondered what on earth you were talking about, thanks again.

Hope you have enjoyed today's Bayerische Motoren Werke edition of 'Gettin a lil psycho on tyres and that you'll join me again tomorrow for Ferrari Friday in the Bonham's auction house for a look at a vehicle once owned by a dreamer who imagined all the people living in the world as one. Don't forget to come back now !

13 comments:

  1. "There is something about vehicles designed around a simple horizontal midriff I find extremely alluring." I totally agree. Any time that I see this form concept in a car (realistically, I never see it elsewhere) I immediately think of the Chevrolet Corvair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much the entire BMW range at this time had this design feature Steve including the 1602/2002 and 1800 series, we also had the NSU Prinz and to a lesser extent the NSU Ro 80, VW411 & 412 featured less pronounced variations of the theme as did the Corvair like VW Type 34, FIAT 130 and 132 models looks heavily BMW influenced with this feature in Britain the Hillman Imp / Singer Chamoise (featured on this blog some time ago) and again to a lesser extent the Morris Marina also shows a similar design concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Corvette Stingray prototype from 1959 had the same line.

    I never liked BMWs growing up, mostly because the drivers who own them over here were usually the up-and-coming, almost-rich, get-out-of-my-way-I-own-the-road-and-you-are-just-a-peon, I'm-too-busy-to-actually-drive-properly-but-not-rich-enough-to-have-a-chauffeur type of drivers.

    Over recent years I have had the opportunity to drive a few and they are really something else. The handling characteristics are definitely a cut above the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew there wound be a couple I'd forget, that '59 Stingray being an excellent example Racer.

    Oh dear! Looks like BMW drivers have the same reputation the world over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always heard BMW's were cars for serious drivers. Why the discrepancy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to agree with Racer, "drivers who own them over here were usually the up-and-coming, almost-rich, get-out-of-my-way-I-own-the-road-and-you-are-just-a-peon, I'm-too-busy-to-actually-drive-properly-but-not-rich-enough-to-have-a-chauffeur type of drivers."

    In 1986 I bought a used 323 (euro 6 cyl) and I was a total prick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BMW's appear to be marketed at serious drivers Chief but some how it gets picked up by cage rattlers who think that means them too ! :-)

    I had a half share in a 155 mph '85 M5 and gave it up when I started accumulating points. JC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be 3 pts (1 speed) short of loosing your licence over here JC !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just about got my a$$ kicked to England (by my dad).

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it happens again and your dad is now a better shot your welcome round my place any time for beans on toast JC :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should tell Chief about my Van Camps (98% fat free) Pork and Beans on Toast. Fly on over and I'll make you some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Automatic Driving Lessons Walsall can be more fun and encouraging when you know that if ever you make a mistake, the wheel can easily be steered by your trainer, until you gain your control back and until you become ready to take it again. With the easy maneuverability feature of the Hyundai i10 Active, I wouldn't if, like you, other driving schools will also include this car in their fleet.

    ReplyDelete